I forgot to include links to Lenovo's download site:
Here is the link to Intel's TM memory driver:
Here is the link to Intel's Storage Matrix driver:
Here is link to Microsoft Vista Patches:
Monday, August 27, 2007
- Save your activation key using the instructions here:
- Be sure the wireless is TURNED OFF to prevent any attempt for Vista to do any automatic updates or activations.
- Begin with a completely fresh install of Vista Business 32bit using the instructions specified in the above thead. If you do not have a disc, you can try to order one from:
- Upon first boot, reactivate your Vista using the steps outlined in the link from the first step.
- Install the following in order. REMEMBER to reboot after EVERY STEP. WAIT until the harddrive access light stops blinking before rebooting. Don't forget that for each of these, if you run the .EXE downloaded from Lenovo, you will have to go into the folder that it was extracted to and install as instructed by Lenovo.
- 01 Intel Chipset (184.108.40.2062 / oss704ww)
- 02 LenovoSystemInterfaceDrivers (1.00.0702 / 7jif09ww)
- 03 Turbo Memory (220.127.116.110 / Download from Intel)
- 04 Matrix Storage (18.104.22.1681 / Download from Intel)
- 05 X3100 (22.214.171.1244 / 7ld522ww)
- 06 Audio (126.96.36.19960 / 7ka209ww)
- 07 EthernetDriver (Build 141888 / 7krv18ww)
- 08 IntelWireless (188.8.131.52 / 7kwv23ww assuming 4965agn)
- 09 Bluetooth (184.108.40.20600 / 7kba12ww)
- 10 HotKeyDriver (2.06.0708 / 7kvu22ww)
- 11 PowerManagementDriver (1.43 / 7kku06ww)
- 12 TabletButtonDriver (3.01 / 7jgk02ww)
- 13 ShortcutMenu (3.62 / 7jgd62ww)
- 14 Multitouch Driver (220.127.116.11 / 7jgf08ww)
- 15 EasyEject (2.33 / 7ku208ww)
- 16 ThinkVantageActiveProtection (1.52 / 7ksa10ww)
- 17 ThinkVantagePowerManager (2.05 / 7ku417ww)
- 18 ThinkVantagePresentationDirector (3.03a / 7rua05ww)
- 19 ThinkVantageFingerPrint (18.104.22.16819 / fpr_7of106ww)
- 20 ThinkVantageClientSecurity (8.00.0115 / z502zis1115us00)
- 21 ThinkVantageAccessConnections (4.42 / 7rcn38ww)
- 22 ThinkVantageProductivityCenter (2.02 / 7kuy03cw)
- 23 KB938979 (Vista Patch from Microsoft)
- 24 KB938194 (Vista Patch from Microsoft)
- 25 KB929191 (Vista Patch downloaded from Lenovo / osv004ww)
- 26 DevicePowerManagementRegistryPatch (1.02 / osfg03ww)
- 27 USBPowerManagementPatch (1.01 / osfh02ww)
- 28 USBSleepPatch (1.01 / osfl02ww)
- 01 Intel Chipset (22.214.171.1242 / oss704ww)
- You are DONE!!! Now, turn on your wireless, connect to your network, and run Windows Update and patch everything until there are no more patches.
- A few things that I decided NOT to install:
- Diskeeper 9 (copied from the apps folder prior to clean install). Vista team did a great job making defragmentation a painless feature of Vista and it does its job. There is no need to install Diskeeper which in my opinion is a Downgrade. This is one of those apps that Lenovo probably is PAID to put on your tablet.
- Modem drivers. I don't like the Digital Line detector and I rarely will use the modem anyway. So, Microsoft's default drivers will do.
- TrackPoint drivers from Lenovo. DO NOT INSTALL. There drivers are not compatible with user switching in Vista. Your system will hang if you log into a user and use Vista to switch to another user without logging out. If you buy a Microsoft mouse and install Intellipoint from Microsoft it will disable TrackPoint drivers anyway.
- Keyboard Customizer from Lenovo. No need for me to remap windows keys.
- ThinkPad Help Center. I don't need the Thinkpad documentation. You can install this if you want the help files installed on your computer.
- ThinkVantage Access Help. This has some online features for accessing help but I don't really need it and I think it can affect system performance.
- ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery. I use Vista's Complete PC Backup and File Backup. I don't see a need to use Lenovo's rescue and recovery when it is built into Vista now.
- ThinkVantage Message Center. I don't need this for sure. I don't think you'll need it either if you visit Lenovo's site to download your own updates.
- ThinkVantage Maintenance Center. I don't see a need this with Vista since defragmentation is already scheduled as default. You can easily run disk cleanup and other built-in utilities as needed.
- ThinkVantage System Update 3.0. I plan on getting my own updates from Lenovo's site. This application is resource intensive in my opinion.
- KB930979. I didn't install this update downloaded from Lenovo because I'm not using BitLocker.